gypsyreviews

Gypsy Reviews

Quintana of Charyn
Melina Marchetta
The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4)
Rick Riordan
Waterfell
Amalie Howard
The Bride Wore Size 12
Meg Cabot
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Brontë Review originally at Gypsy ReviewsI am a big fan of the Brontë sisters (except Emily, I was not fond of Wuthering Heights) and was nonetheless expecting much from this book and it did not disappoint.The story starts out as a letter written to someone named Halford and by the hand of Gilbert Markham who recalls to his friend the time where Wildfell Hall had a new tenant (the whole book is actually a letter). The new tenant, a woman named Helen Graham is mysterious and her roots are unknown other than the fact that she is a widow, causing the village to be suspicious of her and making her the victim of their gossip. Gilbert is not fond of Helen at first, her cold demeanor deterring him from wanting to get to know her better but soon they do become acquaintances and they fall in love. However, Helen is unwilling to allow their relationship advance any further and shows Gilbert pages of her diary, marking the days from when she was introduced to society to how she ended up at Wildfell Hall, unveiling her past as the victim of a brutal alcoholic husband.I was unimpressed by Gilbert in the beginning because he seemed arrogant and not rather likable. It was his love for Helen that won me over in the end. I really think the main star of the story is Helen because her character is so incredibly strong and admirable. She resisted leaving her home and husband for so long because she couldn’t leave her son. It did touch my heart because it reminded me how strong a mother’s love is. Helen is a role model for all women out there and she reminds us all to be strong and firm and to do what is right for ourselves.What really made me love the book was how painfully honest it was. It showed that not every marriage is going to be happily ever after, unlike other classics we read about like Jane Eyre and Pride & Prejudice. The characters are flawed and not at all perfect, each having their own vices and virtues. The book reminded me why I loved reading classics, unlike YA books where characters are nearly always perfect and their flaws are not as nearly mentioned as much as they should. What I appreciate the most in books is how realistic they develop their characters, the relationships between the characters etc and this book is one of those.Brontë’s storytelling is executed wonderfully, she is able to tell the story with a plot within a plot. I loved that we got to actually read about Helen’s past from her perspective, it brought so much to light on her story. Everything linked back together beautifully and she developed the characters so well.The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, is no doubt a fantastic novel, shedding light to the plight of women in the 1800s and the author’s feelings towards the equality of men and women during her time. Definitely worth a read.