gypsyreviews

Gypsy Reviews

Quintana of Charyn
Melina Marchetta
The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4)
Rick Riordan
Waterfell
Amalie Howard
The Bride Wore Size 12
Meg Cabot
Breathe  - Sarah Crossan Originally posted at Gypsy ReviewsCan I just say how glad the copy I borrowed from the library was the paperback one? I really dislike the hardback cover, it’s mainly the font for the author’s name that bugs me so much because it seems so out of place next to the design for the title. Okay moving on from my pet peeves on cover designs Breathe is a dystopian novel with a plot that seems very plausible in the future and with a very simple concept that is easy to wrap your mind around because it could be a reality that many years in the future – we might not have trees anymore. Crossan was able to deliver the concept very well and it was easy to understand, it didn’t take long for me to really get into the book because sometimes I get confused with the world when reading dystopian books where everything is so complicated and it takes a while for everything to just sink in. The world building was good and consistent, I liked that Crossan didn’t ignore other countries unlike some books where only the US was able to survive, she acknowledged that there was a whole network of Pods around the globe.I felt the marketing for this book was inaccurate because the blurb talks about the lottery but the lottery is actually part of the history, the way they made it seem like the lottery was a part of the story. It would have been nice to find out how the Premiums and Auxiliaries came about, how did they get separated in the first place? There was a mystery in the book that wasn’t fully addressed in the end which I’m really intrigued about, I hope it gets addressed in the sequel because I GOTS TO KNOW. There’s a lot that could have been expanded but since there’s a sequel, I hope we get to see more of the Breathe world because it is quite interesting.I really liked the character development here, we really see the three main characters grow from their experience throughout the book and I loved that, we see how the events change each and every one of them. Quinn realises his entire life has been a lie and his father isn’t the man he thought he was. Bea refuses to submit to her fate as an Auxiliary anymore and realises she can change her life with the rebels’ cause. Alina changes from the hard-hearted rebel to realising that she has so much to lose now after meeting Bea and Quinn. For me, I think Quinn had the most change and in the end I adored him, he wasn’t the playful Premium who thought everything was carefree and easy anymore. He faces the facts that nothing is as good as it seemed and he knows he can play a part in making things right for everyone. It was hard to connect with Alina though, I couldn’t sympathise with her as much and understand her situation, that might have just been me though.Breathe was a good read but it didn’t blow me away. I need books to really keep me absorbed throughout and blow me away, leaving me with that “Wow” feeling once I finish it. I guess I just wish there was more adrenaline-rush scenes that would get my heart pumping? I would definitely recommend this book and I can’t wait for the sequel!