gypsyreviews

Gypsy Reviews

Quintana of Charyn
Melina Marchetta
The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4)
Rick Riordan
Waterfell
Amalie Howard
The Bride Wore Size 12
Meg Cabot
Tempest - Julie Cross Originally posted at Gypsy ReviewsTempest and I didn’t get on very well once I started, it was hard for me to like because I felt like Jackson was a huge jerk and he was ungrateful with everything he had in life. So I couldn’t really sympathise with him because I felt like Holly deserved someone better than him, he sort of took her for granted. Jackson is a typical cocky guy who was raised with a lot of money and has a happy-go-lucky attitude about him, not really caring about consequences and anything serious. I’m fine with those type of characters but some development along the way would be nice and although he did develop somewhat in the book, it wasn’t enough to change my mind about him.I wasn’t too jazzed about Jackson and Holly either, I had no idea what they each saw in each other. There was never anything in depth as to why Jackson loved Holly so much or why Holly loved Jackson so much which I would have loved to find out. I was really bothered by the fact that Jackson didn’t trust Holly enough with his time-traveling secret and usually we just see them cuddling a bit and then having sex. I didn’t see the meaning in their relationship, I didn’t feel like it was real and their love for each other was strong because it just seemed like a casual relationship when it wasn’t meant to be written as that in the book. I mean a big part of the story is Jackson trying to save Holly and stop her from dying so their relationship is a big factor in the book and since it wasn’t done convincingly, it was hard to get into the story.I was far more interested in Courtney, Jackson’s twin sister who passed away when she was 14 to cancer. Courtney brought out another side of Jackson and that was his vulnerability. I read a review on Goodreads (sorry I can’t remember who it was!) on how they would have been more interested in the book if it was about Courtney and Jackson and I agree completely, their dynamic seemed so much more interesting than Holly and Jackson and I love stories with twins in them.I did love that scene with Jackson and his dad, not gonna spoil anyone with it but I liked it. I think Jackson’s family would have been more interesting to explore and delve into because you can see the relationships he has with them and the emotions unlike Holly and Jackson. It feels more real and more believable and there’s just so much more to the story with Jackson’s family, there’s a lot of mystery and it just connects better with the time-traveling stuff.Julie Cross was able to take her own spin on time-traveling and create her own rules to it and it was good to see an author who really thought out the mechanics of time-traveling but it got to the point where it was too much and I was getting even more confused by the chapter. I was starting to get a headache each time we learned more about time-traveling, I think in this case less is more and with something as complex as time-traveling, maybe so much detail wasn’t necessary. Also with all the jumps Jackson was doing, it was getting hard to keep track of which year he was in and the timelines and such. There was quite a lot of action in the book which is great for a book like this but nothing that keeps you on the edge biting your nails which is disappointing.Tempest mixes it up with its own interpretation of time-traveling and formed an interesting storyline but the story falls flat with Jackson and Holly whose relationship doesn’t feel concrete enough for me to get heavily invested in it or actually believe they’re in love that deep. Tempest was just not for me with its numerous details on time-traveling, there was too much going on and I couldn’t keep track. It was a slow read unfortunately, I started speed-reading halfway through which is always a sign that it’s becoming a chore for me to read it so I don’t think I’ll be reading the sequel but it’s worth a read if you’re looking for something a bit different from the YA novels you see nowadays.