gypsyreviews

Gypsy Reviews

Quintana of Charyn
Melina Marchetta
The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4)
Rick Riordan
Waterfell
Amalie Howard
The Bride Wore Size 12
Meg Cabot

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares - Rachel Cohn, David Levithan Review originally posted at Gypsy ReviewsI received this book via the publisher through NetGalley. Thank you.I expected this book to be light-hearted having read some reviews about it but boy was I wrong, this book is so much more.It starts out with Dash at the Strand, a bookstore, a few days before Christmas finding a red moleskine notebook on a shelf and a few dares written on the first few pages by a girl named Lily. Dash manages to fulfill the first few dares and thus begins a journey between the two of them as they trade their dreams, hopes and dares through the notebook.What I really love about this book is how beautifully written the characters are. They are shaped and fleshed out so well that you can imagine what they would do in a particular situation and I love that, I can imagine a conversation between Dash and Lily in my head. Connecting with the characters was such a joyful experience. The parts where we got to read their innermost thoughts was probably my favourite part of the entire book, I can relate to so much of what they wrote and how they felt. I absolutely adore that part where Dash was explaining to Lily that meaning is something we have to figure out ourselves. It’s humourous, witty, smart and the words are thought-provoking. So many quotable lines that made me stop and think and reflect on my own life.Reading about NYC and the Christmas atmosphere just made me even more eager to go to NYC one day which is my dream, I really want to be able to work in New York in the future. Reading about The Strand wow, the stacks of books that were described, just visualising that makes me excited haha. Also the chocolate pizza mmmm. I want to stand at Times Square staring in awe at the neon lights, I want to go to Macy’s and complain about the crowds during Christmas and I want to go to Madame Tussauds and pose with all the wax figures and wonder where all old celebrity wax figures went.I got a little too emotionally attached to the book about 3/4 into the book actually and was screaming and sobbing internally at the decisions Lily and Dash were making but really glad in the end it did make me feel warm and fuzzy, not the kind that I’m used to but it wasn’t a bad kind either. You know when you scream inside at the characters to not do it, you love this book.Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares is an adventure filled with wittiness and words that will leave an imprint on you even hours after you read them. You’ll fall in love with the characters and enjoy the ride you’ll have with them, in the end, you can’t help but smile when you think of Dash and Lily.