gypsyreviews

Gypsy Reviews

Quintana of Charyn
Melina Marchetta
The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4)
Rick Riordan
Waterfell
Amalie Howard
The Bride Wore Size 12
Meg Cabot

Shadowlands (Shadowlands (Hyperion))

Shadowlands - Kate Brian 4.5/5Originally posted at Gypsy ReviewsShadowlands is a thrill ride from the very first page, the story is told from the alternating POVs of Rory and Steven Nell, the serial killer who didn’t manage to kill Rory the first time. Steven’s chapters are short but they send the message across, giving you an inside look on what is going on inside his mind and what you read will send chills up your back. There could have definitely been more of Steven and less of Rory in the story because as we got further into the story, it seemed that Steven’s part of the story was beginning to be neglected.When Rory and her family get to Juniper Landing, they think they have an opportunity to start over in a safe place away from Steven Nell with their new identities but something isn’t quite right in their new home and Rory tries to find out what. Much of the story is actually concentrated on Rory noticing what is wrong in Juniper Landing and it’s yet a good and bad thing because Kate Brian is able to weave those connections so well but yet keep you on your toes constantly guessing what it is that keeps you engaged in the story. However, as mentioned before, with this new mystery I felt that Steven Nell was beginning to be neglected. It wasn’t as concentrated on Rory trying to escape from the serial killer anymore and that was a little disappointing.I loved how Kate Brian wrote, she is excellent at writing those suspenseful scenes that keeps your heart pumping faster and faster. Though I did feel the middle was getting a bit too slow to keep my interest, I didn’t feel we were getting enough clues to let me guess and that was frustrating because it meant I just had to keep reading till the end and I was beginning to feel a bit restless. Nonetheless the ending was completely worth it and threw me off completely though it didn’t answer all my unanswered questions. There were a lot of things that did not make sense even finding out about it so I hope these are answered in the sequel.The lack of romance was okay with me though I didn’t really understand Rory’s attraction to Tristan and her constant remarks on his cheekbones. More development could have been done there and it was a little disappointing to be introduced to Christopher in the beginning and then we never get to see him again.Also I’m a little confused by the tagline on the cover of the book – “She escaped a killer twice – But will the third time be the charm?” From the story, Rory only escaped from Steven Nell once, there was no second time so I’m not sure if that was a misprint or something?I really wanted to give this 5 stars but I just couldn’t because even though it blew my mind, it wasn’t enough to maintain my interest throughout the whole book so I had to knock off a half star. Shadowlands is definitely a great mystery and thriller novel, just right for people like me who don’t like too much horror and gore but love the thrill of a good suspense novel. I would definitely recommend this book, it was a fantastic and enjoyable read.